In the workshops I conduct, egardless of the topic of discussion, we always get around to the question, “How can I get the board of directors more involved in the work of our organization?” Here are five tips that will help you help your board.
- Ask for 100% participation. Many organizations solicit 100% participation during fundraisers, but ask your board to commit to a 100% participation program. Give them a variety of ways they can get involved and find something useful for everyone to do.
- Ask them for a list of contacts that you can introduce to the organization. Ask them to make the initial introduction and you will do the follow-up fundraising work.
- Ask them to host a small group dinner in their home. Let them generate the guest list and you will take care of planning the dinner and program.
- Schedule board meetings at days and times that are convenient to board members and not the directors or staff.
- Say “THANK YOU” often. One of the most important things that we is saying thank you. We have to give people a sense that their contribution, time, energy and efforts are appreciated.